Login |  Register

Post subject: HIV in DC, other things...
PostPosted: 090317 00:15 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
Three small articles in one!

I'd just read earlier in another article that approximately 5% of Kenya's residents have HIV and thought "Man, that's really high! One in twenty people!" Of course, seeing another article that says that 3% of DC's residents have HIV is even worse, since it's closer to home AND our nation's capital. Amazing, and not in a good way.

Profile  Offline

Post subject: Re: HIV in DC, other things...
PostPosted: 090317 01:23 
Legendary Overfiend
Legendary Overfiend
To limit the spread of HIV, I think people should stop taking drugs intravenously (yeesh), and we should start working together with Japan to create new and better sex dolls.

I'm all for reducing obesity, regardless of age.

I'm skeptical that a tax will be enough to stop smokers from smoking. Aren't cigarettes already exorbitantly expensive? Slapping another dollar on isn't gonna stem a smoker's craving...

I'm pretty sure that being stuck in a cramped plane next to a person with a serious communicable disease is one of the circles of my own personal hell.

No comment on the heart valve thing. Except this: I hate hospitals.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090317 01:26 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
I don't think the idea is to reduce smoking, but rather raise money from it. A side effect may be to cause some people to stop smoking due to the cost, but the primary goal is to get money. If you stop everyone from smoking, you won't be making very much money.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090317 01:58 
Legendary Overfiend
Legendary Overfiend
Right, I was responding more to the prediction of the health experts than the intentions of the tax hikers.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090317 05:51 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
To limit the spread of HIV people should stop fucking like rabbits with any random fuck that comes their way. No need to be so promiscuous. Just because you CAN go get blackout drunk on a Friday night and fuck some rando doesn't mean you SHOULD get blackout drunk on a Friday night and fuck some rando. As for needles, you've gotta be as dumb as a sack of rocks to take intravenous drugs in the first place, let alone take intravenous drugs and share the same needle...

Fat people should stop being so fucking fat. In some circles it's called the Don't Eat And Drink So Fucking Much You Fatass plan. It's also called the Get Out And Do SOME Exercise Even If It's Walking plan.

I think it's great that they're taxing smokers even more. Crank that price up, baby. If they wanna suck on their cancer sticks, wring every fucking penny out of them. You guys don't live in Ohio, but it's amazing how enjoyable it is to go out to a bar, not have to breathe that shit for however long you're in there, and not come home reeking of cigarette smoke. I don't know if an equivalent law has been passed in PA yet but I hope it gets put through soon. Oh, getting back to the topic of the short article, I think perhaps the financial impact may make people stop, but it's really just a matter of smokers waking the hell up.

I cringe when I think about being one of the people nearby said TB-infected person. What a terrible situation. And only 17? That's it? It's an ENCLOSED, SEALED airplane fuselage with it's own circulatory system, and you're only going to check on 17 people near the person? Give me a break. PS - If you're that sick you probably shouldn't get on a damn plane... common courtesy.

As for artificial heart parts, I look forward to the day when we can replace parts wholesale, cyborg-like, or even better, repair damaged tissues, organs, and bones via nanotechnology to better-than-new. Can't wait for those days, although sadly I'm not so sure it'll happen in our lifetime. =\ Zep, how can you hate hospitals?

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090317 05:55 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
Kashi wrote:
Fat people should stop being so fucking fat. In some circles it's called the Don't Eat And Drink So Fucking Much You Fatass plan. It's also called the Get Out And Do SOME Exercise Even If It's Walking plan.

Well, the article says they're looking into doing it to babies, which means it's probably therapy for something that's caused by genes or hormones rather than laziness.

Kashi wrote:
As for artificial heart parts, I look forward to the day when we can replace parts wholesale, cyborg-like

I have a cochlear implant, there are pacemakers and artificial hearts, people are working on miniaturizing dialysis machines so that they can be implanted, artificial eyes are being worked on...

I'm more excited about the prospect of using stem cells to regrow parts that are actually your own natural parts, or using them to repair what you already have.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090317 08:59 
Legendary Overfiend
Legendary Overfiend
It's telling that I completely agree with most of what you said, Kashi, but your choice of, erm, vocabulary, leaves me feeling less than desiring of attaching my approval to your post...

I guess it's not so much that I hate hospitals, but that I fear them. You'd think a sanitary place where people get better would be nice to be in, but instead I can't help thinking of it as a holding pen for sick people waiting to be cut up in surgery...

Oh, and I remember there being some talk about a smoking ban around here. I don't really, um, hang out in bars, though, so I'm not entirely sure.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090317 10:37 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
I didn't mind hospitals until I was stuck in one for about 7 or 8 hours waiting for surgery. They plugged an IV into me and let me wait, though my surgery was scheduled for 8 AM. It was kind of annoying, since I reaaaaaally needed to piss by the end. The first thing I did when I woke up was get up and ask where the bathroom was.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090318 15:44 
Deserter
Smokers are people too. Addicted to something that is, by many accounts, more addictive than heroin. I think cigarettes are an atrocious drug. Even more useless than alcohol. But we live in the goddamn United States and I'm proud of that, for what it's worth. norway might be better but the US is one of the best. Inhibiting people's freedom to eat and smoke is no different than doing the same to nudists or people who like to do whatever activities you like that some OTHER people consider dangerous, pointless or unnecessary. We've all got our own world to live through, uniformity is not the way. Smoking and being obese are a valid, important, consciously chosen part of certain people's lives and it's no more wrong than everybody who ever drinks alcohol or eats chips or likes to bunjee jump or swim with sharks. I mean, you've gotta think about these people as real humans. What if the gov't wanted to tax the nEET lifestyle? Think of everything that some decrepit conservative 90 year old lady might take issue with regarding how you live your life and imagine if the government taxed you heavily for all those things. Playing video games, wearing casual clothes, being a 'spoiled brat' who throws away a perfectly good apple core? It takes different strokes.

Smoker's are taxed enough already, stealing more of their money at this point would be immoral. And while we're sort of on the subject, taxing fatty foods would punish the poor by raising the price on the lowest cost foods.

P.S. anybody seen the movie Thankyou For Smoking? Great frickin' movie.

"I hardly ever leave my house or my neighborhood really, and that's not a sad thing." - Fiona Apple

"It's alright, ma. It's life and life only." - Bob Dylan

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090319 08:57 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
It's not inhibiting their ability to smoke any more than sales tax inhibits your ability to buy goods or income tax inhibits your ability to work.

Profile  Offline