Login |  Register

Post subject: Death Link to Too Much Red Meat
PostPosted: 090325 02:18 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
Click this link to see the article and your screen will be covered in images of steaks, which will kill you!

This article "suggests" that a diet with too much red meat could be harmful. Of course, a diet with "too much" anything at all can be harmful, so I'm not too sure what the point is. The article is so vague that it's just frustrating. This is a general problem I have with regular news outlets writing articles about "scientific" or "medical" findings.

It just seems alarmist -- "RED MEAT CAUSES CANCER" or something. There are plenty of other things you can eat that will kill you quickly enough, too. Pretty much everything we eat has something bad for us... and the upshot is that "too much bacon and burgers will affect your health negatively". Yeah, really?

Profile  Offline

Post subject: Re: Death Link to Too Much Red Meat
PostPosted: 090325 06:50 
Legendary Overfiend
Legendary Overfiend
I agree that these sort of "findings" are kind of pointless. Apparently, anything can be "scientifically proven" to cause cancer with the right statistics.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090325 07:25 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
My fist can be proven to cause cancer to your face with the right statistics.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090325 09:03 
Legendary Overfiend
Legendary Overfiend
I think you're stretching it, there.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090325 09:14 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
A funny thing... today I was talking to Mr. T and he got up to get some coffee. I said something like "Isn't that your fifth cup today?" and he said it was. So I said, jokingly, "Hey, you know... coffee will raise your blood pressure."

He stared at me. He totally didn't know that.

We talked about it for a bit, and it turns out that he has a lot of habits that contribute to his high blood pressure, knowingly or unknowingly. He called me a "mean, mean man" for telling him about all of that because he doesn't want to stop any of them -- they make him happy.

Honestly, I can sort of see where he's coming from; he's a single 49-year old man with no real family or anything outside of work. His hobbies are smoking, watching TV, and watching TV while smoking. He used to drink, but his doctor put a stop to that, so he started drinking coffee...

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090325 11:09 
Legendary Overfiend
Legendary Overfiend
There seems to be a reckless streak in my family. Take my uncle, who recently bit the dust. He was a wild man. I believe he died from complications related to smoking (emphysema?). I might be making this up, but I think I heard a story about the doctor telling him he should quit smoking and he was like, "fuck you, I'll do what I want" (sound familiar?). Sure, it pays to make healthy decisions in your life, but it's not always worth making the sacrifices, for some people. You gotta live your life the way you damn well please. You've only got yourself to impress, in the final analysis.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090325 15:48 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
Commenting on the original topic, I have to agree that it's kind of bogus. Too much meat? Perhaps bad for you? Wow, no shit! Here I thought eating 6 pounds of non-lean meat per day was great! (Note: I do not do that). Yeah, this is definitely alarmist. Really just makes me orz.

As for what the thread seems to be trending to, I think a lot of what people do that supposedly makes them "happy" is actually just either 1) a routine they've gotten into or 2) addiction. I sat there every day playing WoW telling myself I was having fun (and I really did at times), but you both knew it wasn't always the case. It often just made me mad. A healthy decision would have been to stop ages ago, but I guess it wasn't worth making the sacrifice eh? Having more time to spend with you guys wasn't worth the sacrifice, ya know? (Panda and I have talked about this before and I never noticed it because I was glued to the monitor) And I guess that guy genuinely derives happiness from drinking coffee and smoking cigs, eh? :roll: Just because you're a single/married/divorced ___year old anything with/without X, Y, or Z shouldn't mean a damn thing. My grandfather on my dad's side was a smoker and alcoholic for most of his life. He left grandma and the kids way back when my dad was a kid. He died due to health complications from said smoking and drinking. According to the logic in here so far, "as long as it makes him happy (panda)" and "not worth the sacrifice for some people (zep)" justify actions like that. Yeah ok. No.

We can beat around the bush all day but I'm calling bullshit. Fundamentally, I want to drive this home: People do these because they're too stubborn, too addicted, or both, to change. They've fallen into a routine and because it's easy to keep doing, they do it. And out of our group I'm pretty damn sure I'm the most qualified to bring this up because I was exactly that way for years with WoW.

PS - Yeah I still think that red meat article is fucking bogus. Hippie fag vegans like to push this kind of stuff on us.

Profile  Offline