Login |  Register

Post subject: Five foods you MUST try
PostPosted: 090408 00:22 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
The food section has been pretty calm, so I thought I'd try this here as well...

What are five foods that you think everyone should try at least once?

Usually, when I make food recommendations, I try to tailor them to the person and ensure that they'll have a great experience (which generally works out well), but in this case, I just want to list five foods/meals/dishes that I wish people would try.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Oven-Baked Macaroni and Cheese
This stuff is so good. The cheese is creamy and melty, the top layer of noodles are crisp with a melted cheesy "skin", and there's a nice, crunchy layer of breadcrumbs on top -- or if I've made it, panko. People love Kraft and Velveeta for good reasons, but sometimes you have to go back to the original.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Pennsylvania Dutch Chicken Corn Soup
This has been one of my favorite dishes ever since I was a kid. It looks disgusting, but it tastes really, really good. Again, it's some traditional, homestyle cooking that you don't really see nowadays. The broth is natural, the rivvels are natural, you can toss in whatever other vegetables you want, season to taste. It's filling and cheap to make... and most importantly, delicious!

[Reveal] Spoiler: Country-Fried Steak with Sawmill Gravy
One of more more recent favorite foods... I don't know why I like it so much, but it's just good. It's also pretty much the only favorite food that I can't cook to my satisfaction -- I'm no good at making the steak. I love having it with thick-cut steak fries and shoepeg corn -- they complete the meal for me. Some cold applesauce rounds it off as a dessert.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Yakiniku
I've heard that this style originally came from Korea, but I first had it in Japan, so it's Japanese to me. Yakiniku is a meal that consists of some amount of thin-sliced raw meat in small pieces, about the size of a rasher of bacon. Typical sides are vegetables and rice. You grill the meat yourself, dip it in sauce(s), and eat it. You can also grill the vegetables. It forces you to pace yourself and really enjoy the meat -- there's nothing like eating meat that has just been freshly grilled!

[Reveal] Spoiler: Ramen
I suppose I should mention now that placement means nothing. This is one of my favorite foods, ever.

Ramen is much-maligned in America -- the "authentic" (i.e., "good") ramen restaurants are few and far between; usually you can only find them in larger, more international cities. Most people know ramen as the "cheap cardboard shit poor people eat". Well, it's delicious. I prefer a miso broth with a spicy tang, but there are also pork and soy sauce broths. There is also a huge range of toppings to choose from -- I like char siu (thin-sliced slow-roasted pork), corn, and bean sprouts. Everyone has to try a real bowl of ramen at least once.

Profile  Offline

Post subject: Re: Five foods you MUST try
PostPosted: 090408 00:51 
Legendary Overfiend
Legendary Overfiend
I have yet to taste a "gourmet" macaroni "casserole" that even holds a candle to the Blue Box.

Profile  Offline