Login |  Register

Post subject: Pet Peeves
PostPosted: 090512 02:07 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
GO ON, LIST YOUR LATEST PET PEEVE.

I hate how the local convenience store sells awesome fries, but refuses to make them "plain". They make the fries, then basically do a shake-and-bake routine with flavored powder -- there's no reason you shouldn't be able to get them without the powder! The two flavors are "homestyle" and "chili". Ugh.

One pet peeve that's really been biting at me for a while has to do with people using Japanese in English. This is actually the reason I made this post. For some things, I can understand it -- samurai, sushi, tsunami... you know, words that we've already accepted as English. But apparently people who live here for a long time have this thing where they use Japanese words in English for NO GOOD REASON. The following examples are taken from real life; the first and third ones are actually copy/pasted from newsletters.

Example 1 wrote:
I had the good luck to see a river immediately after a taifuu.

Okay, so... you used the Japanese word for "typhoon". Was there a reason? It's not like it's any different from a typhoon. What was the entire point of that?

Example 2 wrote:
I went to buy some new kutsu and they are so kawaii.

This is even worse. You replaced "shoes" with "kutsu" and "cute" with "kawaii". Was there a point to that? Did you want to show off the astounding depth of your Japanese knowledge or how well you've assimilated yourself in to the weeaboo culture? I honestly don't get it.

Example 3 wrote:
That restaurant is super good, especially since it has tabehoudai and nomihoudai.

I could almost excuse this, but I'm not sure why. Maybe because it's easier to say "tabehoudai" than "all you can eat" and "nomihoudai" than "all you can drink". But at the same time, there's no difference in meaning, so why not just use the English? I mean, you're talking to people who speak English. Come on.

Profile  Offline

Post subject: Re: Pet Peeves
PostPosted: 090512 04:50 
Legendary Overfiend
Legendary Overfiend
I hate the term "weeaboo". I don't even really understand exactly what it means, but something about the word just - well, it just sounds stupid. I also dislike the term "animu", and it bugs me when people invert letters in certain words like "raep", or "pron", etc. (it's like the typing version of "He Who Must Not Be Named" - what are we hiding from?). But then again, just about any deliberate and willful abuse of grammar/spelling gets on my nerves (um, lolspeak?). I'm not a grammar nazi, but I just don't get why anyone would go out of their way to sound like a retard... Even in parody.

Hopefully this isn't too redundant, since I've mentioned it elsewhere, but it still bugs me when people use the word "congratulations" when commenting on a person's photo on Flickr. It just doesn't feel right. You congratulate people when they graduate, when they get a new job or a raise, when they get married or pregnant, when they win some kind of award, or when they make parole*. You don't congratulate someone because they uploaded a photo you happen to like. I mean, seriously, what kind of an accomplishment is that? "I like your photo, let's throw a party and celebrate and tell all of our friends and family!"

* I had to add that one because I realised all the examples I was giving were so very conventional and well-adjusted... :lol:

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090512 05:38 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
I think the entire point of the word "weeaboo" is to sound stupid. It applies to a very specific subset of people who try to be Japanese -- not necessarily in the sense of fitting into the culture, but trying to live like an anime Japanese person... IN AMERICA. Or whatever non-Japan place they happen to live in.

I'm also not too fond of animu, nor am I fond of the people who say "USAians" or "USians", though I can sort of understand their reasoning. Sort of.

raep, pwn, and other words like that have actually taken on a meaning somewhat different from what the "original" words have, so once I got used to them, I didn't mind them as much... though I still think there are only certain times/environments where you can use them.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090524 04:58 
Legendary Overfiend
Legendary Overfiend
I could probably write a book about the things that bother me about radio, but here's one thing that just caught my attention. I've been listening to this online stream from Blues Radio UK, which is fantastic blues programming, but even so, it's not immune to every hangup in radio. The thing that's been bugging me is some of the fades between songs. Sometimes it works really well, other times, not so well. I understand that pulling off a good fade is tricky, and it usually requires some knowledge of the songs being played, and I have no idea who's doing the fades on this station - whether it's a person or a machine or what (I have yet to hear a live DJ) - but, all of those concessions aside, it really bugs me when you ruin the last one or two seconds of a song for the sake of not allowing a dead moment (I would call it a breathing moment) between songs. In corporate radio culture, DJ's often ruin songs that way by talking over the beginning or end of a song, which bugs me even more - but that's an aside. Would it kill you to let the song play through it's last note, or fade out enough that the song has left your consciousness before punching into the next one, even at the possible expense of a single second of silence?

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090524 05:45 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
It makes less sense to me in internet radio because it's not like every second is precious and could be sold for valuable local advertising. It's just some automated playlist somewhere...

Maybe fades are so ubiquitous that there's a sense that that particular sound is "professional".

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090524 08:53 
Legendary Overfiend
Legendary Overfiend
Scott wrote:
Maybe fades are so ubiquitous that there's a sense that that particular sound is "professional".

That's pretty much it. Except that I don't personally think it's very professional to chop off the end of a song every once in awhile. :-/

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090526 06:25 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
zharth wrote:
I hate the term "weeaboo". I don't even really understand exactly what it means, but something about the word just - well, it just sounds stupid. I also dislike the term "animu", and it bugs me when people invert letters in certain words like "raep", or "pron", etc. (it's like the typing version of "He Who Must Not Be Named" - what are we hiding from?). But then again, just about any deliberate and willful abuse of grammar/spelling gets on my nerves (um, lolspeak?). I'm not a grammar nazi, but I just don't get why anyone would go out of their way to sound like a retard... Even in parody.

I hate how people don't like deliberate and willful abuse of grammar and spelling every now and then and/or can't understand when parody is applicable. :lol:

My pet peeve is people who cannot spell or construct a proper sentence to save their life. As communication today transitions more towards the textual (IM, texting, facebook, twitter *gag*), it enrages me to no end to see that people cannot grasp how to put thoughts into words. The famous "how is babby formed" yahoo answers thread comes to mind. Just the typing of these words to describe my pet peeve is making me angry. Who the fuck uses babby, mroing, u, u r, ur, or rediculous in a serious context? It's not a mistype. It's not like they did it in jest. It's honestly used as if they mashed their face off the keyboard and didn't bother to read what they wrote before they hit enter. If you read my twitter rant in the twitter thread, you'll understand me. I genuinely fear for the slightly younger generation.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090526 07:25 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
I'm sure the slightly younger generation will be okay. Maybe just not most of the Americans.

Education and technology are progressively un-democratizing us...

As far as grammar on twitter, you should look at my twitter feed; I express complete thoughts without resorting to pager-speak.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090526 08:15 
Legendary Overfiend
Legendary Overfiend
Obviously I agree that that kind of stuff is annoying. I don't think that the entire younger generation should be tossed into the trash, though - just the majority :lol:. There are still people out there who are intelligent and sophisticated enough to speak properly though, even within the context of tweets and IM's and stuff like that.

Now I feel like one of those old inconsiderate fogeys talking about how young people just don't know how to speak the language properly. But speaking (and typing) properly isn't the same thing as doing it rigidly and uncreatively. But yeah, Doug lapses into "hip speak" :roll: not infrequently, and rarely does it fail to annoy me.

Edit: Oh, I just had another thought. It's worthwhile to consider how much of an influence the existence of non-native English speakers (typers) in online culture has on this issue.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090529 03:13 
Legendary Overfiend
Legendary Overfiend
As an amateur screen capture maniac, it really bugs me that there are always some frames that are just about impossible to capture. No matter how many times you try to capture it, or how carefully you attempt to freeze the video, the program spits out the frame just before or after. This often happens at the switch from one scene to another. Especially with panning scenes, sometimes you want to catch that very last frame of the pan, if possible, to get all the details on the edge (like the top of a character's head for example). It's not always necessary to be that precise, but in some cases it's important, and when it turns out to be one of those "impossible" frames, well, you can imagine my frustration.

Profile  Offline