Login |  Register

Post subject: Naruto Shippuuden
PostPosted: 090301 05:16 
Legendary Overfiend
Legendary Overfiend
Naruto Shippuuden discussion, anyone? I'm kind of afraid to discuss it with Scott, because I'm under the impression that he reads the manga, and thus knows exactly what's going to happen in the series far ahead of where I am, watching the anime version - and I don't want to be spoiled. However, for once, I am actually all caught up with the series, and I've been watching the latest episodes on viz.com as they show up - maybe not the day they appear, but usually within the week, before the next one comes up.

As far as the viz.com airings, the audio and video quality is crap compared to what I'm used to; however, the poor quality does kind of remind me of watching crummy sixth-rate DBZ fansubs on VHS, so it has a kind of nostalgic effect, interestingly. On the other hand, I can't stand the obnoxious commercials. Commercials are one of the reasons I stopped watching TV...

Alright, some general thoughts on Shippuuden. Compared to the original Naruto series, which degraded into like a two hundred episode long string of fillers or something, it's nice that the series is actually dealing with the important stuff - between confronting Orochimaru, and fighting against Akatsuki. It's been really cool seeing the characters [partially] grown up, and how their designs have changed (since their personalities are largely the same). I love that Hinata grew her hair out. Finally some consolation for Sakura chopping her hair off way back during the Chuunin exam in the first series...

[Reveal] Spoiler: Puppet Master Arc (episode 32ish)
I thought the Puppet Master Arc was very good, especially the great battle against Sasori. He was a cool character. And wow, Sakura really comes into her own here. You know, it's kinda obvious, but for awhile I believed Gaara was actually gone for good. Interesting that Naruto, the title character, hardly does anything particularly important for like the whole first season. That's not really a complaint, though.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Sasuke Reunion Arc (episode 54ish)
New characters: I hated Sai at first. He was obviously just a replacement for Sasuke. He had some good scenes in the part where the group meets Orochimaru on the bridge, when for awhile Sai seems to ally with the snake lord. But then he gets all sentimental. And despite being able to sympathize with his difficulty for normal interpersonal communication, I still merely tolerate him. As for Yamato-taichou, he seemed painfully bland when he first entered the series, but I've come to like him over time. Even though he can never be a fraction as cool as Kakashi-sensei.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Sora Arc (episode 71ish)
So the Sora Arc was actually filler? If so, then I'm not surprised. I expected Sora to be one of the Bijuu, but then he turns out to be just the leftovers from the Kyuubi. Lame. I didn't really like Sora, anyway.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Kakuzu/Hidan Arc (episode 89ish)
The Asuma-sensei arc was really good, giving one of my favorite characters - Shikamaru - some time in the spotlight. His revenge against the duo from Akatsuki - awesome. How many people have managed to take down a member of Akatsuki one-on-one? I love how Ino managed to do absolutely nothing during that fight, proving just how useless she is (except as fan service). I mean, Chouji wasn't much help either, but at least he tried. (I still maintain that Chouji died way back in the first series when they were pursuing Sasuke's abductors).

Ero-sennin kinda bugs me. Don't get me wrong, he's an awesome character, but everytime he claims to want to train Naruto, they spend one night in some onsen, and then he disappears on official duty, leaving Naruto to train himself...

By the way, are there like, official or at least semi-widely accepted titles for the different arcs, like "Cell Saga", "Freezer Saga", etc., or is it pretty much arbitrary?

Oh, and the latest ending theme, "Bacchikoi!" - you know, as incredibly lame as it is, I can't help thinking that it's actually kinda catchy. The guys look terrible doing the dance, but the girls...there's a strange charm there...

Profile  Offline

Post subject: Re: Naruto Shippuuden
PostPosted: 090301 05:22 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
I don't think there are official arcs, but then again, I stopped watching the anime around episode 110 in the original series.

I can pretty much confirm that the whole Sora thing was "filler" insofar as it didn't show up in the manga at all that I can remember.

I remember feeling the same way about Jiraiya, but on the other hand... he's someone for Naruto to look up to, he does shine a light on the way for Naruto to go in, and knowing when to chill is pretty important, too. I mean, you can't really knock his stuff when he's obviously quite a powerful shinobi in his own right, no matter what his methods.

Look at Tsunade, blowing her chakra on some stupid illusion to make her look younger/prettier.

Lots of good stuff up ahead for you, though...

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090301 05:30 
Legendary Overfiend
Legendary Overfiend
Yeah, I totally respect Jiraiya, it's just that I want to see him in action, showing us all the cool things I'm sure he knows how to do, but everytime we get close, he runs off.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090301 05:32 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
Quote:
Your time is gonna coo-oome...

He'll get plenty of screen time once the story starts going again in the anime, trust me.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090301 05:44 
Legendary Overfiend
Legendary Overfiend
Speaking of Jiraiya, I want to become a shinobi, if for no other reason than to have a legitimate excuse for spying on the girls at the onsen. "But I was just practicing stealth techniques!"

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090301 05:47 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
If you need an excuse, you obviously weren't good enough...

Then again, what's the excuse for Naruto's Sexy no Jutsu? Or the Harem variant?

Blatant fanservice?

At least we haven't seen it for while... I don't know about the anime, but the manga's had a much more serious tone for a long time now and either of those two techniques would be way out of place.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090301 05:53 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
Scott wrote:
Look at Tsunade, blowing her chakra on some stupid illusion to make her look younger/prettier.

I think many fans wouldn't have Tsunade any other way. I know I wouldn't. ;) Plus, I suppose I would argue that it's not really "blowing" chakra. I remember pretty clearly the epic fight between a young Naruto, Kabuto, Jiraiya, Tsunade, and Orochimaru. When Tsunade uses her Genesis jutsu to repair her quite serious wounds, afterwards, they kind of cover how she does it. You folks probably remember, then again, maybe Panda forgot. She supposedly stored a little bit of chakra every so often (perhaps every day?) in that diamond on her forehead. Over time, years, I believe, it gradually accumulated a significant amount of chakra, which when released is the renewal jutsu that we saw.

So, Panda, yes, I suppose the total output of chakra at one time is "blowing" her chakra, but as we all know, she's an impossibly strong lady. There's no lack of chakra there normally. :)

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090301 06:01 
Legendary Overfiend
Legendary Overfiend
The anime's considerably serious, too, in line with the "grownup" theme. There have been a couple really short scenes with Konohamaru, though, where the sexy no jutsu has made a reappearance. It hasn't been used in battle though, obviously, and the harem no jutsu [unfortunately] hasn't shown up, I don't think.

Still, female shinobi (kunoichi?), have been known to use their sex appeal to throw off weak-minded opponents, so I don't see why the technique would be considered pointless. I mean, it's partly a form of disguise, and partly a form of mind-influence, right?

Kashi wrote:
I think many fans wouldn't have Tsunade any other way. I know I wouldn't. ;)

I'd dial down the chest considerably, but that's just me. ^^

Scott wrote:

I thought Tsunade was the Legendary Sucker, not blower? :?:

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090309 01:45 
Legendary Overfiend
Legendary Overfiend
[Reveal] Spoiler: Episode 98
Aha, so there's a Bijuu involved. Suddenly, this crystal-jutsu subplot is (hopefully) becoming more interesting. So the Sanbi doesn't have a host then? I suppose I had just assumed that all of them had been sealed in hosts. Can't wait to see it fight. We've seen what Akatsuki does with the Bijuu; I wonder what Orochimaru plans to do with one. Destroy it, so that Akatsuki can't have it, or harness it's power in his own way? It's a relief Hinata made it out of that crystal prison safely.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090310 13:20 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
I was so worried that Hinata was going to be shattered, but I just knew that there was no way they could kill her off. She's Hinata! The romance between her and Naruto isn't even close to being consummated yet in the anime! Speaking of which, when is Naruto going to stop being a meatheaded homo and start realizing that he can at least drop a kiss on the girl, dammit. Poor girl's been starving for his touch from the start and he's too busy knocking heads to realize he should be knocking something else. Argh! >:(

Edit: Uh-oh, the >:( smiley face doesn't seem to be working. D:

Profile  Offline