Login |  Register

Post subject: Goku Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
PostPosted: 090313 04:13 
Legendary Overfiend
Legendary Overfiend
Firstly, I'd like to say that Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei is definitely one of my top favorites out of the anime series I've seen recently (in the past few years or so). Which is probably a precedent, as it's more of a gags show than one with any semblance of a coherent plot. But, the humor is not only highly intelligent, but quite cynical, and often dark, too - which is right up my alley. Plus, the characters are adorable. Mental dysfunction has never *been* so moe!

Goku Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei is a 3 episode OVA/OAD following on the heels of Zoku Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, the 13 episode TV series that followed the original 12 episode Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei TV series. The episodes of Goku are on par with the rest of the series, and the animation is even better than usual - the usual already being pretty high for this series.

Some excellent topics covered in these three episodes:

Zetsubou-sensei's idea of having Christmas once every four years to make it more special

"The fiercest battles are fought behind the scenes."

Halloween being hijacked by cosplay fans

things that don't match up to the original - Japanese curry from an Indian person's perspective

things that do match up to the original - 99% pure cacao, "It's chocolate that has asymptotically approached the original!"

coelacanths :o

(Kaere's skirt is shorter than ever... :suggestive:)

"Japanese have put more importance on the process of things than the results since ancient times!"
"That's why, rather than a mature woman, they focus on me because I'm still in the process of growing, huh?"

"Please aim for the appeal of incomplete growth."

"No one wants to look at a complete shut-in! Why don't you somehow reveal an imperfection as a shut-in? Accidentally go to the convenience store once a week or something?" "I don't want to." Ah, Komori-chan... <3

(Better do it properly, or risk Kitsu-san's shovel... x_x)

having to do things even when there's no point: "Even though I know my life won't get any better, I have to work hard every day!"

misrepresentation of titles versus content: "A jovial-sounding term like NEET should be a pet name bestowed by the masters of the house upon their favored minstrel!" Silly Kafuka...

unwinnable (and unlosable) battles: "A debate over which pairing is better." "Yeah, I'm certain there are no winners there. Sorry, but you're both losers!"

The second episode does a great gag where the characters let loose because they don't think that particular set will be published. But since it is published, some of the things they do are switched up for comedic effect - or incredibly disappointing effect, as is the case with the teaser of Itoshiki Rin showing up completely naked...

"It's such a pity, big brother - my completely unclothed, bold nudity - for it not to be published..."
"(Made it to publication, so it became a clothed version)" :mad:

Is this the end of the animated version of Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei? Will there be any more? A proper third season? It can't end here! Such a good series...over? I'm in despair!!!

Profile  Offline