Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/zharth/zharth.tenjou.net/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 379
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3786: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:379)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3788: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:379)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3789: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:379)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3790: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:379)
Zharth's Forum • View topic - Movie Posters

Login |  Register

Post subject: Movie Posters
PostPosted: 090529 10:22 
Legendary Overfiend
Legendary Overfiend
Movie posters can be a pretty interesting artistic outlet. Results vary, but there's nothing cooler than an awesome movie poster for an awesome movie. If anybody feels like talking about their favorite movie posters, or which ones they have hanging on their wall, or wants to talk about the unique considerations of the medium, be my guest.

One movie poster that I really like is the iconic design from the original Alien movie. Just today I was thinking about how I should really have that one on my wall, considering how much I like the series.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Alien

Another one I happen to like is this design for The Descent. It's not the more popular design - I guess you would say it's an "alternate", but I like this one a lot better. It's kinda gruesome, but I think it's awesome.

[Reveal] Spoiler: The Descent

As for posters that I already have on my wall...despite my love of movies, I actually don't have a lot of movie posters hanging up. I was always more in favor of anime posters, as they tend to have a higher percentage of cute females. I do have a Fellowship of the Ring movie poster, although I think it's more "movie merchandise" than the actual advertisement for the movie - it depicts the scene where the hobbits are hiding from one of the Ringwraiths.

I bought a Dead Man poster (mini-size), after seeing the behind the scenes footage from Neil Young's Greendale album (fyi, Neil Young recorded the soundtrack to Dead Man). The first of the two you'll see here seems to be the more popular one, but the second one is the one I saw hanging up in Neil's studio where he recorded Greendale, so that's the one I got for my own room.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Dead Man
Image Image

10% of the reason I bought this Almost Famous poster (also mini-size) is because it's a great, serious movie about a rock band trying to make it in the 70's - also with a great soundtrack. The other 90% is the fact that Kate Hudson looks really hot on this poster. And putting a hot girl next to a guitar is like Kryptonite for me.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Almost Famous

The most recent movie poster I bought was a Lolita poster (mini-size again). It's true that the design of the poster for Stanley Kubrick's version of the film is more iconic, but I thought Adrian Lyne's adaptation was a lot better, so I went for the poster for that version, for what it's worth. The design's a bit more serious, much like the movie itself. It was available in landscape and portrait orientation, but I thought that, for the design, landscape was a better fit (portrait had too much empty space going on).

[Reveal] Spoiler: Lolita
Image Image

By the way, if there are any movie posters you think I should own, or are surprised I don't own, let me know. I'm sure there are some good ones out there I haven't thought of.

Profile  Offline

Post subject: Re: Movie Posters
PostPosted: 090529 11:48 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
Jacob's Ladder?

Surprised you haven't gotten one of the Galadriel-specific LotR posters, too.

Profile  Offline

Post subject: Re: Movie Posters
PostPosted: 090529 12:02 
Legendary Overfiend
Legendary Overfiend
I looked at the Jacob's Ladder poster, and while I like the design (makes a good avatar), and though it is like my all-time favorite movie, I don't know that the poster is so good that I'd hang it on my wall, when I could use that space for a cute elf chick or something.

Speaking of which, you have a point about Galadriel. Although, if we're talking about Galadriel, we can't neglect to mention Arwen as well. Not sure about the poster options available, though.

Profile  Offline