Login |  Register

Post subject: X-Men: The Last Stand
PostPosted: 090304 01:02 
Deserter
This has been on TV a lot in the last few months but I've only now gotten around to rewatching it. I was QUITE blown away by it the first time I saw it in theaters, but since then many truly incredible superior movies have come out (Iron Man, Dark Knight, hopefully Watchmen).

Coming back to X3, what it lacks compared to the best super hero movies is realism. A movie like this could have been dark and dead serious, after all it addresses revolution, war, and discrimination. But as a super hero movie this film still totally kicks ass. Lots of awesome scenes.

I also love Magneto. He's the best. There's something so perfect about his character... I guess it's not often that you get a portrayal of an admirable antagonist. I love the history between him and Xavier. There's this great scene where Magneto's number 2 guy says something positive about the death of Xavier, and Magneto gets all stern and says something like "Charles Xavier has done more to help mutantkind than anyone in existence, his death is the only thing I regret in our struggle." There's something, to me, that is ever so satisfying about an utter, all-out rivalry which is in fact loving. Maybe it's my innate selfishness... I feel like the righteous state of being is honest self-serving, but with a genuine good nature towards your fellows. I think I'm more... impressed by fighting than I am by being lovey dovey. I guess I straight up distrust expressions of love. People say that kind of shit to get what they want, they say that kind of shit to manipulate you. They do it because they believe it, also, but how am I to tell the difference? On the other hand, people rarely feign arguments. The times when I really believe somebody cares about me is when they'll get emotional and angry with me, like how LJ used to get mad at me for being depressed. Somebody who doesn't truly value you isn't as likely to get mad at you than they may be to give you the obligatory "I love you"s. Lately I've noticed I have an attraction to highly-assertive, combative women, like Paris from Gilmore Girls. Being so openly combative cuts through the bullshit, gets your real feelings out. I am really burned out on those mind games and guessing games. Arguing is a lot better. And more fun for someone like me because it is much easier on a shy person if the girl is so assertive.

"I hardly ever leave my house or my neighborhood really, and that's not a sad thing." - Fiona Apple

"It's alright, ma. It's life and life only." - Bob Dylan

Profile  Offline

Post subject: Re: X-Men: The Last Stand
PostPosted: 090304 01:20 
Legendary Overfiend
Legendary Overfiend
That's an interesting point of view about honesty in argument, and I might agree with it to an extent, however I'm sure it's at least a little bit 'paranoid' (and perhaps you wouldn't argue with that point). If somebody gets angry with you about being depressed, maybe it means they really do care about you, but maybe it also means that they just find your depression annoying, and they wish you'd act different, so they wouldn't be so perturbed by your demeanor. In which case they don't necessarily care about you after all. Though, you might still be right that those feelings of anger are more honest than feelings of affection. Though again, paranoia.

But yeah, I can feel you about the friendly rivalry, or antagonistic friendship type thing. Guts and Griffith anyone? And sure, Magneto is pretty cool.

I have to say I wasn't really blown away by The X-Men movies. I'm not hugely into that whole comic zone, but I always liked The X-Men in general. Some of them had some pretty cool powers, and personalities, after all. But the movies...it's not that they were bad movies, but I think you may have a point about the lack of realism. It takes a lot for me to take a guy in a silly costume seriously. The Dark Knight (and also Batman Begins of course) is good in that respect, taking a dark and gritty perspective, and from reading The Watchmen, I'm hopeful that it'll take a similar type of approach - serious, if not as gritty. One of the cool things about The Watchmen is that the costumed heroes themselves are kind of self-aware in that they realize the silliness of going around in costumes, and that allows you to take them a little more seriously. I don't want this to transform into a discussion of The Watchmen though, as there'll probably be plenty of that once the movie comes out (this Friday?).

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090304 01:44 
Deserter
I wish it was out right now. I wanted to see a movie tonight but nothing particularly caught my eye. Taken looks awesome but it's PG13... strangely enough I feel like there is a gap in seriousness between a PG13 and an R. It's not really about the violence or whatever, but an R generally has a more 'adult' atmosphere which I really dig because I'm dead serious and because I like to consider myself an adult. 'Course there certainly are exceptions to the rule...

I don't know about paranoia... but I saw a Radiohead lyric in somebody's profile and despite the superiority I assume bands like AIDS Wolf have over weak bands like Radiohead, it was succinct. "It's how you feel, not how you ought to." But is it paranoid of me to suspect I am being decieved when I have in fact been decieved before? Granted, I finally have come around to thinking LJ was largely 'in the right' in her wanton deception of me. She uses people for sure, but I take things that people say seriously, even though people are often not serious, even me. About the potential reasons for the depression anger, that's a valid consideration but I think it's in the way she/the hypothetical they say it, how they express it. 'Course nothing is off limits to someone who actually intends to decieve. I don't really see how someone could be comfortable in a relationship with a truly gifted actor.

"I hardly ever leave my house or my neighborhood really, and that's not a sad thing." - Fiona Apple

"It's alright, ma. It's life and life only." - Bob Dylan

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090304 01:58 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
I agree with the gap between PG-13 and R -- it's staggering, like the gap between G and PG. It's almost like some advisory board thinks that people 13 and under shouldn't be exposed to "reality", whether it's violence (which I'm not saying is essential to a "realistic" movie), language (again, same thoughts), sexuality (same thoughts), or drug use (same thoughts). Like, you could probably have a perfectly innocent movie that's a heartrending tragedy and it would probably get slapped with an R rating because it's just so realistic/tragic. They'd find some other incidental reasons, of course, but the root reason would be its portrayal of reality. "This movie depicts reality in a realistic light." Shocker!!

(I'm thinking of the Japanese movie Sekai no Chuushin de Ai wo Sakebu here.)

All that aside, I thought the X-Men movies were fun to watch. I was somewhat annoyed with Storm's portrayal, disappointed that they changed the lineup into more of a "who's popular" list and left out Gambit, and kind of weirded out by the black leather fetish, though it's better than technicolor costumes.

The third movie was just "okay" for me; I thought it was too much of an action fest that kind of cheapened the entire concept and experience of what Magneto wanted. Magneto isn't some random terrorist, he's an idealist -- the same as Charles Xavier.

When Obi-Wan Kenobi talks about things from "a certain point of view", George Lucas is just trying to cover his ass, but he's also pointing out a very real concept that you see illustrated spectacularly in Xavier and Magneto.

A lot of people griped about the whole concentration camp thing for Magneto, but I thought it was essential to illustrating the character as a person and not the one-dimensional comic villain that he originally was in the beginning. It adds a huge amount of depth and may be one of the best changes they made for the movie. When I saw that scene in the first movie from the beginning, I was completely convinced that the movie wouldn't suck ass.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090304 02:21 
Legendary Overfiend
Legendary Overfiend
Scott wrote:
Like, you could probably have a perfectly innocent movie that's a heartrending tragedy and it would probably get slapped with an R rating because it's just so realistic/tragic.

"thematic elements" ;)

Scott wrote:
black leather fetish

:suggestive:

Profile  Offline