Login |  Register

Post subject: Favorite actors?
PostPosted: 090322 03:58 
Deserter
Anybody have any favorite actors?

I'm generally not a guy who gives two spits for who plays what role; it kind of dissociates the character from his surroundings if you're watching him in a fantasy world and you already have a perception of that person independent of the film you're watching. I don't care for many of the big name actors so big name movies kind of turn me off; I love mainstream movies but I like the fact that I have no idea who is or isn't a big name and I can't tell any of the big names by their appearence or sound or style (minus a couple). And that's the thing, 9 times out of 10 I have no idea who anybody is. Could be Brad Pitt, could be my next door neighbor (who is not a famous actor, btw). I watched Mama's Boy a couple times and never knew it was Lindsay Weir from Freaks & Geeks in the female role until somebody told me. After seeing both in several movies, I finally found out that Will Ferrel and Ryan Reynolds were not in fact the exact same person -- somebody on a message board caught me giving Ferrel credit for one of Reynolds' films. For a very long time I believed that Eric Foreman from That 70's Show was also Spirder Man in the Spider Man movies. I found out that this wasn't true... when Eric Foreman from That 70's Show was cast to play opposite Spider Man in Spider Man 3. I am truly incompetent at telling humans apart (those animals all look the same!) and I am proud.

But there are a couple people who do catch my eye and when I hear they are in a movie, it automatically becomes much more appealing to me because their style is so awesome.

- Ryan Reynolds. I do love Will Ferrel, he's a genius. But what I loved him most for were actually Ryan Reynolds films; namely Van Wilder and Waiting. Ryan isn't as funny as Will, but he basically plays the same character in each movie and it's such a damn good character. Totally laidback, confident and in control. He's a master, he has life totally figured out. And he's got some crazy awesome logic.

- Robin Williams. So darn talented. I find myself still enjoying my old kids movies with him in it like Jumanji and Mrs. Doubtfire. He always seems to play a character who's a bit troubled. Loved him in Good Will Hunting, The night Listener, and probably a whole bunch I can't remember.

Honorable mentions: Adam Sandler, Will Smith, Will Ferrel... a bunch I can't remember!

You?

"I hardly ever leave my house or my neighborhood really, and that's not a sad thing." - Fiona Apple

"It's alright, ma. It's life and life only." - Bob Dylan

Profile  Offline

Post subject: Re: Favorite actors?
PostPosted: 090322 07:03 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
IfTheLightTakesUs wrote:
Will Smith

Someone else here belongs to his fan club.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090322 07:58 
Legendary Overfiend
Legendary Overfiend
I remember, years ago, being confused when people of the older generation (like parents and grandparents) would watch movies and ask, "is that that guy from that other movie", and things like that. I was pretty much in your shoes then; I didn't know anyone from anyone. But, over the years, I've watched so many movies, and when you start seeing the same faces popping up again and again, you start to take notice. I agree that it can be distracting in a film, which is why I like when less mainstream films manage to find actors/actresses that are great for the part, but are also unknown, so that you're not pulled out of the fantasy by thinking, oh, hey, it's that guy from that film, etc...

Sometimes seeing a familiar actor pop up in an unexpected role can be interesting, like when I realized the mute guy in The Passion of Darkly Noon is the same actor who played Aragorn (Viggo Mortensen); and sometimes it can be distracting, like when Jeff from Hard Candy turns out to be masked hero Nite Owl in Watchmen (played by Patrick Wilson). And then there's the whole thing with Christian Bale, where his role in American Psycho kind of skewed my perception of him as the new Batman.

And it can be interesting when you start thinking of various roles a certain actor has played. Like Michael Madsen - I thought he was great as Bill's brother in Kill Bill, and then I went and watched Species, which he was in, and then he showed up as one of the "Rovers" in Tooth & Nail two Horrorfests ago. In fact, just this past Horrorfest, when the doctor showed up in Autopsy, I initially confused him for Michael Madsen, when it turned out to be Robert Patrick, who was not only in Fire in the Sky, but also played the agent who replaced Fox Mulder in the later episodes of The X-Files.

I think the point is, you watch a lot of movies, you start to get involved in this sort of thing. As far as favorite actors, I don't think I really have any specific ones that I like to cite, but there are some that I like more than others. I dunno, Johnny Depp, Clint Eastwood, Jack Nicholson, they all have a certain charisma that I can respond to. And of the actresses I like to watch, Liv Tyler has always stood out for some reason, though I'm a sucker for any pretty face that comes along. :lol:

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090322 09:37 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
I thought a bit.

Harrison Ford, Edward James Olmos, Clint Eastwood, Robin Williams, Ian McKellen, Hugh Jackman, Sean Connery...

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090322 13:11 
Deserter
:thumbsup: Ian McKellen rules.

"I hardly ever leave my house or my neighborhood really, and that's not a sad thing." - Fiona Apple

"It's alright, ma. It's life and life only." - Bob Dylan

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090323 08:51 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
I LIKE WILL SMITH AND JASON STATHAM. THEY ARE AWEXOMEXROSS. IF YOU DISAGREE WITH ME I'LL FUCKING SLAUGHTER YOU AND BATHE IN YOUR BLOOD. I'M SRS OK BYE!

PS - Awexomexross is to be read as "Awks-um-cross"

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090323 10:16 
Legendary Overfiend
Legendary Overfiend
Rest assured, from what I've heard, I couldn't possibly disagree with the statement that you "like" Will Smith.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090324 01:50 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
:lol:

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090325 02:12 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
I also like Joaquin Phoenix, especially his performance in Walk the Line.

I've been trying to think of female actors that I legitimately like for their acting, but the names I come up with are generally just for eye candy qualities rather than strong acting chops.

One of the actresses I did manage to think of is Dame Judi Dench, perhaps better known as M.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090325 04:30 
Legendary Overfiend
Legendary Overfiend
I thought of an actress I like not just for the eye candy - Cate Blanchett. Granted, she's not devoid of visual sweetness (which is certainly a plus), but I've seen her in a few films - including, of course, her role as Galadriel in The Lord of the Rings, and as one of the Bob Dylans in I'm Not There - and I've generally been impressed with her acting performance. :thumbsup:

Profile  Offline