Login |  Register

Post subject: Re: Favorite actors?
PostPosted: 090325 04:31 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
I can't speak for her Bob Dylan, but her Galadriel performance in Lord of the Rings didn't leave any particular impact on me. But then again, that may be a limitation of the role as it was.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090327 17:21 
Forum Underling
Forum Underling
I have to second Scott's stance on Cate Blanchett in Lord of the Rings. There, indeed, wasn't a whole lot to work with, but I couldn't help but feel that hers were some of the weaker scenes in the films.

It's sad, yet true, how hard it is to come up with actresses whom I enjoy merely for their acting skills. Judy Dench certainly is on the list, but I can't seem to manage much else. I think part of it is that actors and actresses are, by the nature of the trade, generally glamorous people - with comedic exceptions (John Belushi, for example) - and so it can be difficult, or even impossible, to separate the role they create from their appearance. I mean, it probably doesn't come so quickly to the mind of any of us here, but it's probably the same for actors as well - Brad Pitt, for example. Alec Guinness is probably my choice amongst actors merely for his talent, but I suppose his looks don't really stand out one way or another. Now Errol Flynn on the other hand...

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090327 22:44 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
Every time I try to think of Errol Flynn, a Princess Bride-era Cary Elwes comes to mind.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090328 14:45 
Forum Underling
Forum Underling
I'm pretty sure that's, like, the definition of cinematic eye candy for women...

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090328 23:22 
Legendary Overfiend
Legendary Overfiend
How about Grace Zabriskie? I only know her in a few roles, so I don't know if she has great talent, or just a really entertaining character, but at least there's that.

I like Monkee's point about appearance, because I'm a little perturbed that when we try to think of actresses we like not just for their looks, we seem to only be able to come up with those whose looks are generally less than striking. Who's to say the pretty ones can't also be talented? By the way, you guys need to watch more films with Cate Blanchett. :P

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090328 23:30 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
The only actress that I can think of that's both attractive and decent in her roles is Anne Hathaway. I've had some mixed feelings about her, though. On one hand, she somehow manages to pull off always having this... regal air about her. I didn't see it, but perhaps its caused because I link her to the Princess Bride (or whatever the hell it was called). Regardless, she has this... haughty, regal air, and it kind of annoys me. Why, I can't explain.

On the other hand, I saw her in Get Smart, and like, my attitude completely changed. First off, it was nice to see her in a movie that put her in a "tougher" role. It was my understanding that she always plays this nice, innocent, sweet girl gig, and in Get Smart it was neat to see her take on a more badass style. Second, she was fucking hot in Get Smart. Good Lord I wanted to rip that shit up.

So yeah. My summary? Anne Hathaway is (I guess) a decent actress and she's pretty smoking.

Oh wait holy crap how could I forget? I'll add Kate Beckinsale. Hot. Wow hot. Badass, too.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090328 23:45 
Legendary Overfiend
Legendary Overfiend
Kashi wrote:
Anne Hathaway

:lol: Seriously? I'll grant you that she's attractive, but, I kind of figured her as the "just a pretty face" type. I could be wrong, though. (Have you seen Havoc btw?)

Kashi wrote:
I didn't see it, but perhaps its caused because I link her to the Princess Bride (or whatever the hell it was called)

The Princess Diaries, maybe? Because she definitely had nothing to do with The Princess Bride...

Kashi wrote:
I'll add Kate Beckinsale. Hot. Wow hot. Badass, too.

I haven't seen enough of her ( :suggestive: ) to judge her acting talent, but yes, she was unbelievably hot (and badass) in Underworld.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090329 05:11 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
zharth wrote:
Kashi wrote:
Anne Hathaway

:lol: Seriously? I'll grant you that she's attractive, but, I kind of figured her as the "just a pretty face" type. I could be wrong, though. (Have you seen Havoc btw?)

Yeah that's why I wasn't fully sure of her acting ability. I did not watch it but I heard good things about "The Devil Wears Prada" and The Princess Movie-thing that we're talking about was also supposedly good. And, she was nominated this year for... was it an Oscar? This was alongside some other good actresses. So, that has to say something.

As for Havoc, no, what's that?

zharth wrote:
Kashi wrote:
I didn't see it, but perhaps its caused because I link her to the Princess Bride (or whatever the hell it was called)

The Princess Diaries, maybe? Because she definitely had nothing to do with The Princess Bride...

Maybe that's it.

zharth wrote:
Kashi wrote:
I'll add Kate Beckinsale. Hot. Wow hot. Badass, too.

I haven't seen enough of her ( :suggestive: ) to judge her acting talent, but yes, she was unbelievably hot (and badass) in Underworld.

:nod:

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090329 05:27 
Legendary Overfiend
Legendary Overfiend
Kashi wrote:

Not entirely sure, actually. I haven't seen it. I just know that Anne Hathaway gets naked in it. :suggestive:

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090329 05:36 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
zharth wrote:
Kashi wrote:

Not entirely sure, actually. I haven't seen it. I just know that Anne Hathaway gets naked in it. :suggestive:

Oh really..... :badgrin:

Profile  Offline