Login |  Register

Post subject: Twitter
PostPosted: 090512 02:09 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
I used to use Twitter, but it was a pain in the ass because I could only really use it at the computer. Some things have changed and new services have shown up, making it easier for me to use on a Japanese cell phone.

Originally I had a mobile "photo blog" with flickr where I would upload pictures from my phone and write comments -- I thought that was what I wanted, but it wasn't quite there. Sometimes I just want to say something.

That's where Twitter comes in! Now I can write comments, send pictures, or write comments with pictures, and all from my phone!

It's a little bit of blogging and a little bit of photography in one useful bundle. Wonder how long I'll use it...

[Reveal] Spoiler: If you were curious...

Profile  Offline

Post subject: Re: Twitter
PostPosted: 090512 03:50 
Legendary Overfiend
Legendary Overfiend
Scott wrote:
Wonder how long I'll use it...

I'm putting my bet down on 'not long'.

I read about Twitter, thought it sounded cool, signed up, then decided it was actually stupid, then after awhile I thought maybe it could be useful, so I decided to at least try actually using it. I think it's a really good idea, and I feel it has the potential to be used for some great purposes; on the other hand, it can be used for a lot of stupid purposes, too. So, instead of using it as some kind of manual digital tracking device, I guess I'm trying to find uses for it that are a little more...interesting. In the meantime, I guess I can experiment a little.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090512 04:05 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
There are a lot of times when I just want to say something and know that someone, somewhere, will hear it... if that makes any sense. Twitter fills a need in those times.

Even if what I want to say then is mundane or picayune..

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090512 04:19 
Legendary Overfiend
Legendary Overfiend
Scott wrote:
There are a lot of times when I just want to say something and know that someone, somewhere, will hear it...

I know that feeling. Except sometimes it's things I'm not sure I should be admitting to anyone... :ninja:

Scott wrote:
Even if what I want to say then is mundane or picayune..

I was going to tease you about your vocabulary here, but I can't seem to find the right words...

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090512 04:21 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
Don't you usually say something like "You owe me another dime"?

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090512 04:53 
Legendary Overfiend
Legendary Overfiend
Scott wrote:
Don't you usually say something like "You owe me another dime"?

Yeah, but I was trying to go for something a little more eloquent and articulate...

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090512 05:38 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
"It looks like you'll be providing me with another decacentum pecuniary measure."

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090512 06:11 
Legendary Overfiend
Legendary Overfiend
No. There's a difference between eloquent articulation, and flowery overcomplification. :P

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090512 19:40 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
*shakes head at you two*

Getting on the topic of twitter, I'm still kind of bewildered. I mean, as if I wasn't inundated enough with useless, inane fucking crap about people's lives on facebook and IM away messages, I could go ahead and subject myself to even more in the form of <140 character twits! What's even better is that they're called "TWITS", delivered by "TWITS" themselves.

I was even more perplexed when I saw one of the dev/founders on The Colbert Report. They don't even have a business model yet. They're just using investor money to expand the "business" until they can figure out how to start making money on it.

I don't even know what to say on the concept of twitter. It's actually less than 140 chars supposedly because your username sucks up X amount of them. But seriously, it's like a glorified away message/facebook status update. If you can access IM and your away messages on your phone, THAT could be your "twitter". If you can access facebook and status updates on your phone, THAT could be your "twitter".

I mean really, if you get twitter, the purpose is to bombard your followers (if you have any) with all the pointless minutiae of your life. Imagine if I got it on my phone. Would you really want to see:

@M1k3LOL: is cooking food now
@M1k3LOL: is cleaning the plates
@M1k3LOL: is in the bathroom!
@M1k3LOL: is sitting down to take a shit!
@M1k3LOL: it just came out!
@M1k3LOL: is wiping and washing his hands, what a good shit.

PS - Panda will recognize influences on the above example from PA

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090512 21:18 
Legendary Overfiend
Legendary Overfiend
Actually, I think they're called "tweets". Anyway, I disagree with you about the pointlessness of away messages, as I've always found it (more than anyone else I've known it seems) a unique avenue for expressing myself - not just my emo feelings ( :frown: ), but things I like, things I'm doing, things I'm thinking about, quotes and stuff. But the way you've described using Twitter is exactly the sort of "stupid purposes" I mentioned above. Which is why, instead of following that model, I'm trying to find a better use for it. For example, I noticed a fansubbing group was using it to announce progress on their projects. Sure you can use a blog or an RSS feed or whatever, but if you just have a short announcement to make with each update, hey, Twitter works well for that. So I think it has a lot of potential, you just have to find a better way to use it than as a digital activity collar.

Profile  Offline