Login |  Register

Post subject: Daily Checks
PostPosted: 090325 01:25 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
What do you read/check daily, or at least, regularly?

I actually don't check as much as some people; I subscribe to RSS feeds and Trillian notifies me when something is updated.

[Reveal] Spoiler: "Check Regularly"
I don't subscribe to RSS feeds for these because it would just be overwhelming.

Google News -- News from everywhere.
BBC News -- Well-written news with views outside the US.
Slashdot -- Aggregates tech-related news and sometimes has interesting discussions.
Exfanding Your Horizons -- A "geek" blog written by two people. It was interesting in the beginning, but it's not quite as well-rounded as I'd like... which means that AJG seems to write uninteresting walls of text about comics. I still check it out of loyalty, though... and the hope that it'll get better.

[Reveal] Spoiler: "RSS Feeds"
Wil Wheaton's Blog -- Nice writing style, interesting content.
Neil Gaiman's Blog -- Lovely writing style, sometimes very interesting content, sometimes so-so content. He seems to be interested in random stuff, like me, so it's a neat way to find more random stuff. It's also interesting to hear things directly from him, then see articles where people completely misquote him, say things that he never said, or just plain make shit up.
Penny Arcade -- Updated Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, but the news posts are updated whenever they feel like it, so I subscribe to the feed. Both the news posts and comics have been a bit sub-par lately, though.
xkcd -- Good comic. Updated regularly on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday; I really don't have to subscribe...

[Reveal] Spoiler: "Check Occasionally"
Pat Rothfuss's Blog -- I mostly started checking regularly because I wanted to keep on top of the progress for his next book. Unfortunately, he seems to have been more or less stalled for the last 2983 years. I can understand the difficulties, but it's just frustrating since when the first book came out, he was talking about how he'd written the entire series already and sold it to the publisher. Oh, well.
Lifehacker -- Interesting stuff sometimes. I stop by every once in a while and catch up.
Ain't It Cool News -- I was checking a lot to keep up on the Watchmen stuff since it looked like it wouldn't be coming out... now I'm trying to keep up on the Star Trek stuff. I'm looking forward to seeing it, for better or for worse.

Profile  Offline

Post subject: Re: Daily Checks
PostPosted: 090325 16:53 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
Lately I've been checking this forum daily, but normally I don't really read or check anything often. Mostly because of laziness, but also because I genuinely forget about things. "Oh, I haven't checked PA in awhile, let's go do that."

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090325 22:42 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
I like having stuff that I can rely on for daily updates; it keeps me on my toes and is sort of a way to measure the passing of time, if that makes any sense. It's a miniature "event" that occurs at regular intervals.

You know, I forgot I'd titled this thread what I did, so I saw it and thought "WHOA, DAILY PAYCHECKS SIGN ME UP".

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090326 00:01 
Legendary Overfiend
Legendary Overfiend
Interesting topic. There are only a few things I check daily (though the number seems to be increasing lately) - which is ironic, considering how much time I spend at the computer - but most of the time I tend to migrate from one concentration to another over time. As for RSS Feeds, I kind of started using them when you introduced them to me via suggesting I create one for my own site, but I don't really use them much. Case in point, most of the RSS Feeds I've subscribed to are either my own, or friend's blogs that no longer really get updated. The one exception is the 3kon feed, which is a site I've gotten into the habit of checking daily (at least) anyway, but since it's updated so frequently, it's nice to know when something of interest pops up so I can check it out tout de suite.

[Reveal] Spoiler: "Dailies"
Everyday after dinner I tend to cycle through these sites:

CRF2 (Classic Rock Forums Redux) - A really groovy classic rock forum, with a lot of groovy people. Been a regular (if more of a lurker than a poster) for years, all the way back to the first CRF. Provides a mix of recent classic rock related news (new albums, interviews, et cetera), as well as discussion of classic stuff.

CFI (ClothesFree Forums) - Frankly the site offers little of interest to me, but I find myself still checking regularly, for the rare interesting discussion that pops up, and also for heads up about news items usually related to censorship concerns.

Skinbook ("Facebook for Naturists") - It was kinda fun at first, but it's getting harder to find any interesting discussions, and I find myself wondering why I keep checking up on it every day when there's nothing to see...

Sankaku Complex - I can't remember how I stumbled upon 3kon, but I became so engrossed in the volume of interesting articles of red-blooded otaku interest, that I started visiting regularly. I couldn't keep up with the whirlwind pace of updates at first, so I got into the habit of checking the site daily, and sometimes more than that.

Flickr - It goes without saying that I visit this site daily, since I'm involved in a picture-a-day challenge. Some days I have more time to browse images and look for inspiration, and others I just upload my shot, look for any recent activity, and move on my way. This usually happens later in the day, though.

Other blogs, webcomics, things, that I like to keep track of, I tend to do in bulk - I'll forget about 'em for awhile, then something'll remind me and I'll go and catch up.

Also, of course, I check this forum multiple times a day, so I can stay on top of it.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090326 00:26 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
zharth wrote:
tout de suite

Ooh, a phrase I didn't know.

I know what you mean about skinbook -- that's how I feel about social networking sites in general. I tried twitter for a bit, but found that I just didn't give a shit about what people are doing... or maybe most people just twitter about the most picayune crap. Facebook has essentially turned into a glorified twitter with this newest redesign, anyway...

It sounds like you need some blogs written by people that interest you or something... people that actually blog regularly.

Did I introduce you to 3kon by linking you to an article?

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090326 01:01 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
I was kind of intrigued by your word selection there, as well. I'll take daily checks, tyvm.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090326 01:12 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
zharth wrote:
tout de suite.

wat

zharth wrote:
CRF2 (Classic Rock Forums Redux)

CFRFRFRFFFF2RFR! I remember that.

zharth wrote:
CFI (ClothesFree Forums)

Wait whaaaat?

zharth wrote:
Skinbook ("Facebook for Naturists")

Double wait whaaaaat?

I'm not even kidding when I say I never saw you as a person visiting the latter two sites. For real? I can't imagine you putting up nudist shots of yourself... :shock: Bad mental image bad mental image. x_x

And, heh-heh-heh, you say "nothing to see" on skinbook. Yeahhhhhh, no. I'm calling you out on that one.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090326 02:22 
Legendary Overfiend
Legendary Overfiend
Scott wrote:
Did I introduce you to 3kon by linking you to an article?

Honestly, I don't remember what it was, but I'm fairly certain I stumbled upon it from a web search, probably, and I think it was before you had ever linked me to it. Not to deny you credit, but that's the way I remember it.

Kashi wrote:
And, heh-heh-heh, you say "nothing to see" on skinbook. Yeahhhhhh, no. I'm calling you out on that one.

Well, it's true. I was hoping there'd be more girls, and my age, but... unfortunately, it's a sausage fest. x_x

[Reveal] Spoiler: What once is seen, can never be unseen...

Btw, have you read my Burning Man Journal?

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090326 03:28 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I don't know which one to pick. I'm dead. x_x

PS - lol of course it was a sausage fest, you thought there would be hordes of luscious ladies on there? :? Any lolis? :badgrin:

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090326 03:38 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
The only nudists are old people who are too tired to put on their clothes and men looking for women.

Profile  Offline