Login |  Register

Post subject: Re: Twitter
PostPosted: 090513 00:55 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
I use it for mundane stuff like "I'm going to take a shower", but I also use it for random stuff that I want to say or take a picture of in case anyone is interested. If you're not interested, you don't have to go look at my Twitter feed -- it's pretty simple.

PS, Facebook statuses were based on Twitter; their current interface is actually modeled after Twitter for a very good reason -- it's popular and easy to use.

Also, usernames don't take up characters.

It's like a blog, I guess -- that's why they call it "microblogging". You don't have to feel compelled to write a wall of text about how emo you are; you can just write one or two sentences and get it out of your system.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090514 13:05 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
I'm pretty sure that perhaps the current style of Facebook status updates may be based on Twitter, but I feel very confident in saying that Facebook status updates came well before Twitter.

I'm also confident that usernames take up characters; it was indeed a point of contention on the Colbert Report that I referenced. Colbert mentions 140 character limits and the dev/founder corrects him. Go look for yourself.

I would postulate that forcing someone into a microblogging state merely means they'll just write a greater quantity of twitter posts. So instead of a large emo post from a hardxcore emo I get tons of tiny posts. I know that I like to pound out a wall of text here and there and twitter's limit would bother me to no end.

As for the what the rest of you two said, you do make good points. I also would consider reading your "tweets" (I stand corrected via Zep) because I know that I would likely not see the very things I'm pre-complaining about. However, how is that any better than you guys just making a post about it? And if you don't remember, then could one not say it wasn't worth it in the first place? Seriously, if it's something so amazing and awesome that it deserves a tweet, then would it not stand that it also deserves some explanation? So really, all a tweet would do is say "Hey I have something cool that I'm going to tweet about but I can only barely tell you what it is because I can't write anymore, guess you're fucked if you want to know more about it ha-ha!" It's no better than me saying "Hey guys I got a secret but I won't tell you!"

Lastly, I guess my gripe can be expanded to our other terse forms of communication. As emo as this is going to sound, no one wants to talk anymore. We aren't in touch with people anymore. For being as packed into cities and apartment buildings as we are, we simply don't know each other, or perhaps more concisely: For as close as we are, we're so far away. *gag* *cough* But seriously, IMs, texting, status updates/facebook/myspace wall posts, and now twitter... for fuck's sake, we're literally forcing ourselves into a corner. Nobody knows how to fucking spell, and since we're using mediums that require typing, it's enraging to read the textual vomit that people call grammar, spelling, and punctuation. You can get away with swapping "your" and "you're" verbally because they sound the same, but it's a whole other ballgame in the text world. People don't know how to hold a decent conversation anymore. Everything is instant-gratification and smiley faces. What the fuck ever happened to picking up the phone and calling someone? (and no Zep I do not care that you don't like talking on the phone or any kind of "normal" interaction... your situation is a very uncommon and strange one). Worst part is that I can even recognize that I've fallen into a bit of this myself; mostly in the interaction department.

How in the hell is this younger generation going to turn into functional members of society when they can't spell worth a whit and when most of their conversational experiences have revolved around using their thumbs to deliver thoughts?

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090514 23:12 
Legendary Overfiend
Legendary Overfiend
I understand the need to write blocks of text sometimes, but there are other avenues for that. Sometimes you just want to run some little tidbit of information off, that really doesn't require much explication. It doesn't have to be super special, but it shouldn't (in my opinion) be something completely pointless either, the point is that it's something relatively small, but interesting enough that you want to tell someone - anyone.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090514 23:23 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
If you NEED to write a wall of text, then twitter probably isn't for you. It's not a swiss army knife; if I want to write something long or link something, I write here. If there's something I want to talk about with a specific person, then I talk to them. Twitter fits a specific kind of need for me, and that's all I use it for.

Profile  Offline