Login |  Register

Post subject: Stuff to Read
PostPosted: 090325 01:54 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
Everyone who knows me knows that I love to read. The internet is a great resources when it comes to reading; there are tons of things out there to read, of varying quality. I decided to list a few of the (legal) places I've gone in the past -- if you ever feel like reading something on your computer, this is a good chance.

http://www.literature.org -- A collection of books that are free to the public due to age. There are some classics in there as well as some stinkers. I love to read the series by Edgar Rice Burroughs -- his Tarzan and Barsoom books are nice, simple stories where men are strong and good, the women are beautiful and willing, and the bad guys are just bad guys. No drama, no fuss, no muss. Just stories about courage and honor. This site is closely related to gutenberg.org, but presents things in a simple HTML format to read in the browser.

Monster Island -- This guy wrote a book in blog format and posted it online; he's also written two sequels the same way. The other interesting thing is that all of his books have actually been published. They're not bad for zombie books.

Cory Doctorow -- A popular modern author known for writing stories about his views on technology and personal freedoms. I'm not a huge fan of his since his writing tends to be a bit blatantly preachy, but I understand what he's trying to do. He releases a lot of his writing via his site, allowing you to download it for free. It's worth a look. Little Brother is one of his most popular recent books.

Wikibooks -- An experiment in wiki-style textbooks. Sometimes it works, sometimes it fails.

Wikipedia -- An great place that I can always rely on for something to read, even if I can't rely on that something being 100% correct.

Profile  Offline