Login |  Register

Post subject: MyAnimeList
PostPosted: 090307 11:36 
Legendary Overfiend
Legendary Overfiend
I just stumbled upon MyAnimeList, which is one of those sites you can use to keep track of the anime/manga you watch, but it doubles as a sort of social network as you can list your favorites, view other people's profiles, write blog entries, and contribute to the forums and stuff. I keep a pretty comprehensive list of the anime I've seen on my website (here), and I've also been using anidb for quite a while, but sometimes I get the desire to, you know, actually talk about the anime I watch with other people who are into it. I have yet to find an anime forum that really draws me in, though.

I used to post on animenation.com quite a bit back in the day, and there are times when I go back to lurk through the discussions, to read over what's been said of the series I'm watching (I recall doing this for Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei and Claymore, among others), but I'm not finding within myself the desire to really join in. On the one hand, these kinds of forums tend to be so overcrowded, and I feel like there's not much point in adding my one insignificant comment to a discussion that has probably covered that point anyway (especially if I didn't watch the show right when it came out - which is true in most cases), and on the other hand, as much as I hate to jump on the bandwagon of characterizing all otaku (or at least English-speaking otaku) as lame-o 13-year-olds or lame-o adults who act like 13-year-olds - as I consider myself to be something of an otaku (or at least an English-speaking otaku), and thus must reject the stereotype by default - the truth is, stereotypes are made for a reason...

But anyway, the social networking aspect of MyAnimeList looks neat for now, so I guess I'll play around with it for a little and see if it's worth continued interest.

By the way, here's my profile.

Profile  Offline

Post subject: Re: MyAnimeList
PostPosted: 090309 00:51 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
It sounds interesting, but I've always found categorizing and listing the stuff I read/watch to be far inferior to actually, well, reading and watching it. Everyone always encouraged me to do it as a kid so I could keep track of the number of books I read per (day/week/month/year) and so that I knew what I'd read before... but the stance I always held had two points -- one, I could be reading instead of writing; two, if I can't remember that I read something, then I might as well read it again. After all, it's like I never read it to begin with.

So I inevitably start something like this, usually for comparison's sake, but abandon it later because it's just tedious work and there's something I'd rather be doing. Of course, if there were a plugin or something for MPC that would track the titles and episode numbers of things you watched to autoadd them, that might be nice, but then there's the problem of just sitting down and adding everything I've seen...

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090309 01:38 
Legendary Overfiend
Legendary Overfiend
Yup, that's a good point, but I have sort of a fetish for organizing information, so this kind of thing is actually fun for me in and of itself. Plus, with this particular site, there's also the social aspect. Unfortunately, right after I joined up, it seems to have gone down for maintenance, which is a pain, so I haven't been able to explore it any further yet...

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090407 02:13 
Legendary Overfiend
Legendary Overfiend
Having used the site for a little while now, I must say the "social" aspect is pretty disappointing. The forums, while comprehensive, aren't terribly active. And if there was ever any expectation of "meeting" people with similar interests or whatever, I'm oblivious to any of that. On the other hand, I do like the system for archiving stuff I've watched/am watching/want to watch (and similarly for reading manga), and the idea of having a main profile page is cool, so I can see myself continuing to use it.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090407 02:29 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
I signed up intending to fill out a list in my free time, but the interface is just too annoying, just like that stupid bookshelf application on facebook. It would take forever...

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090408 00:18 
Legendary Overfiend
Legendary Overfiend
The interface may be a little weird, but it doesn't really bother me. At the least, you could put in your favorites and just use the main profile page as a sort of, "this is basically what I like". I like being able to update stuff I'm watching/reading as I go through it. And also having a place to put in titles that I *want* to (i.e., "planning to") watch/read is helpful as a reminder, too.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090408 00:24 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
zharth wrote:
I like being able to update stuff I'm watching/reading as I go through it.

I hate doing that kind of busywork, which is why the site doesn't appeal to me much, I guess. I don't fill in anything other than the series title and status when I add a series -- the rest is completely pointless to me. I can see why it would be useful to know what the last episode/chapter of a series was, but I usually manage to keep track of that stuff in my head; if I lose track, then I know it's time to skip back a bit and rewatch a few episodes/chapters to refresh my memory.

Profile  Offline